LATEST NEWS: Jury finds rapper A$AP Rocky innocent in gun attack, victim’s family prosecutes evidence Rihanna used a lot of money to… see more

Rapper A$AP Rocky was found not guilty on two felony counts of assault with a semiautomatic firearm after he was accused of shooting at his onetime friend and bandmate following a heated argument in 2021.

The jury cleared the 36-year-old rapper, whose real name is Rakim Mayers, following a three-week trial during which prosecutors painted Mayers as an aggressive attacker who shot his childhood friend, rapper Terell Ephron, over a disagreement.

Mayers could have faced up to 24 years in prison, but prosecutors only sought 8 years.

“This is not a difficult case,” Deputy District Attorney Paul Przelomiec said in his closing argument Thursday. “The question for you to answer in this case boils down to really just one question. … And that is did Mr. Mayers, the man at the table, did he use a real gun or did he use a fake gun. Was it a real gun or was it a fake gun? Nothing else is in dispute.”

The defense argued that Ephron, who goes by the name A$AP Relli, was envious of the hip-hop star and had assaulted him twice on the night of the shooting. Attorney Joe Tacopina said in his closing arguments that Mayer carried a prop gun when he did not have security and fired to stop Ephron from attacking one of their friends.

Rihanna, Mayers’ partner, was seen arriving to court with their two children ahead of Thursday’s closing arguments, according to video obtained by TMZ. She returned to court on Friday.

The rapper pleaded not guilty and decided not to take the stand at his trial. He also turned down a pre-trial plea deal that would have led to 180 days in jail.

“I want my right not to testify,” he told Superior Court Judge Mark Arnold last week.

Mayers and other members of his A$AP rap collective were walking near a Hollywood hotel when Mayers allegedly pulled a semiautomatic pistol from his waistband, pointed it toward Ephron, and said, “I’m going to kill you,” prosecutors said. The two were meeting to settle a dispute. Mayers was accused of firing twice in Ephron’s direction. He told police that he believed one of the bullets grazed his hand.

Ephron testified that Mayers was aiming down when he fired the first shot.

“When he shot the first shot, I felt my hand hot, so I grabbed [A$AP] Illz, used him as a shield. He’s going around trying to shoot me between Illz,” Ephron said to the court, referring to another member of the rap collective. “I’m just trying not to get hit at this point.”

Ephron said Mayers was running toward him the second time he shot.

“He’s running and shooting,” Ephron testified.

A$AP Twelvyy, whose real name is Jamel Phillips, testified that Mayers carried a prop gun because he had been the victim of violent incidents, including home invasions and a stabbing in 2018.

“I know he had to get a whole new security staff. And also I know he walked around with a prop gun, like a starter pistol,” Phillips said.

He accused Ephron of being the aggressor, claiming he grabbed and shook Mayers on the night of the shooting. Phillips testified that when Mayers pulled the weapon, Ephron allegedly said, “Shoot that fake … gun.”

Rocky’s tour manager, the final witness to testify, also said it was a prop gun.

This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.

Minyvonne Burke

Related Posts

ABC reported: 30 minutes ago, sources inside the White House confirmed that a senior official had abruptly resigned, paving the way for Gavin Newsom to confront Trump with the message: “You can, Do what I dare not…

By Julia, BBC News, 10 August 2025 In a fiery showdown that’s tearing through America’s political fabric, California Governor Gavin Newsom has thrown down the gauntlet against President Donald Trump,…

Read more

Last night Messi shone, turning the tide of emotions at the Leagues Cup, his wife and 3 children came to us to congratulate the victory and announce the good news that…

Anoche, la Leagues Cup fue testigo de un momento de pura magia cuando Lionel Messi recordó una vez más al mundo por qué es considerado el mejor futbolista de todos…

Read more

BREAKING: 30 minutes ago, Scarlett Johansson and her husband announced the good news that she is pregnant with her second child and has scheduled to postpone her participation in the movie to give birth.

Hollywood woke up to unexpected but heartwarming news this morning: Scarlett Johansson, one of the most recognizable and bankable stars in the film industry, has confirmed that she is pregnant…

Read more

BREAKING: 30 minutes ago, FPI announced that the suspect who shot and killed two children was a member of a sect hostile to Catholicism and opened fire to threaten…

The city of Minneapolis has been shaken to its core after new revelations emerged from the Federal Police Investigation (FPI). Just thirty minutes ago, authorities confirmed that the man responsible…

Read more

LIVE UPDATE | Shooting at the place where the good news was announced: 2 children were killed, 17 others were injured, 1 lucky survivor shared in fear “I heard gunshots coming from the window, I saw my friend get shot and fall down but he didn’t stop and the gunshots got closer and closer…

MINNEAPOLIS (FOX 9) – Two children were killed and 17 other people were injured in a shooting at Annunciation Catholic Church and School in Minneapolis on Wednesday morning. The suspect,…

Read more

LATEST NEWS: 1 Hour ago, King Charles and Queen Camilla confirm Duchess Kate Middleton has … more byphuoc

By Julia, BBC News, 05 August 2025 Before she became the poised Princess of Wales, Kate Middleton was a teenager grappling with a terrifying health mystery—one that left her mother…

Read more

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *